Sunday, March 20

Needs vs. Wants

Hello!  Today I want to write about a super important topic:  Needs vs. Wants, especially when it comes to stuff.  Material stuff.

There's so many things I want to buy but I don't really need.  For example, my TV.  It works perfectly but it's old.  Real old.  Really, really old.  Like, non-flat screen old.  It's one of those old-school CRT TVs that need at least three people to carry it.  It's huge, bulky, and just not what I want.  But, do I need a new one?  No, not yet anyways.  One thing I love about it is that the sound sounds amazing.  Some of those flat screen TVs sound tinny and horrible and then of course, you have to buy a sound bar, which is just an extra cost so ugh!!

Another thing I want is a new computer chair.  The one I have now has been torn to shreds by my lovely cats.  -_-  The arms are falling apart and I have to sit on a pillow because the cushioning is pretty much gone.  But, do I need a new one?  Once again, no, not yet anyways.  Once my back starts hurting though, it's outta here.

There are so many more things I want but don't actually really need...just yet.  You get the point though.

One thing I want and need though is a house that is not in the country.  I've bitched about the countryside enough so I don't want to sound like a broken record but if you read this blog, you know how I feel about miles and miles of grass and nothing.  Anyways, I'm trying to save for a house but if I keep buying things I want but don't necessarily need, I'm that much further from getting that house.  Also, I have more stuff to move then.  -_-  No thank you.

So, if there's something you really want and need to do like buy a house, go to college, get a car or anything big, try to hold on to the things you already have.  Yes, a flat-screen TV, new comfy computer chair and all are nice but if they are still in working/usable condition, keep using the heck out of it until you can't anymore.  Ask yourself ~ Do I need this OR do I want this?  If it's the latter, save your dollars for something big.  You'll feel better about yourself in the long run.  :)

No comments: